2021 Overlander's Way Festival of Sport
An initiative supporting regional community sports clubs to Return to Play.
The Overlander’s Way has been designated by the QLD Government as the states strategic touring route (Townsville to Tennant Creek). The Overlander’s Way Festival of Sport project supports those community clubs along the Overlander’s Way from Charters Towers to Mount Isa.
The Festival of Sport is a partnership between community sports clubs, sporting bodies, Local Government and the NQSF. The objective of the Festival of Sport is to provide the necessary resources for our regional community sports clubs to fast track a return to play.
The major barriers preventing a successful return to play in 2021 include but are not limited to volunteers (coaches, officials & committee members), participation (competitors & social) and funding. Collectively we would like to design the content of this project to address the barriers and provide sustainable, long term solutions moving forward.
- Events – Come and try day / Social inclusive competition day / Sports Expo
- Workshop – Coaches clinic / Officials’ clinic
- Upskilling – Governance / Management / Promotion / Funding
- Community sports clubs and the sporting bodies identify the type of program, location along the Overlander’s Way and date or dates to host the event
- Sporting Bodies and the NQSF collaborate to review the model, logistics and resources
- NQSF and Local Government work in partnership to develop a promotional strategy that will engage the community
- Identify resources required and options that support a return to play strategy
- Collaborate with stakeholders customize individual programs based on available resources and objectives
- Coordinate the delivery of the project across the region
- Build in sustainable long-term solutions
- December 2020 – March 2021 (Consultation)
- March 2021 – April 2021 (Design)
- May 2021 – August 2021 (Delivery bearing in mind coordination of logistical support)
SHOULD YOUR SPORTING ORGANIZATION WISH TO GET INVOLVED PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE firstname.lastname@example.org
FURTHER INFORMATION TO FOLLOW